LEXIS AND STRUCTURE
Instructions: Choose the word or group of words which best completes each of the following sentences in questions 1-5.
1. I will tell you the mysteries of life when you ___ to my house.
A. We’re coming
C. Are coming
D. Will come
2. Last week, I ___ a bad toothache
A. Might have
B. Am having
3. The new officer cadet will do as you say if you ___ him I sent you.
A. Are telling
B. Had told
C. Would tell
4. We won’t be ready to blow up the rock ___ 20 June.
C. Had been
5. By next year, I ____ an agent for 18 years.
A. Had been
B. Have been
C. Will be
D. Will have been
Instructions: In each of the questions from 6-10, choose the options that best explains the information conveyed in the sentence.
6. Joy’s chief idiosyncrasy is a passion for pounded yam.
A. Joy has a penchant for pounded yam
B. Joy’s chief likes pounded yam
C. Joy’s chief hates pounded yam
D. Joy hates pounded yam
7. You must not attend the end-of-year party.
A. You do not have to decide whether to attend the party or not
B. You have to decide whether to attend the party or not
C. It is not necessary that you attend the party
D. It is necessary that you do not attend the party
8. The man reasoned that there ought to be a limit to sycophancy.
A. People should know when not to use flattery
B. Sycophants should know when to grant people’s request
C. Sycophants need not to talk all the time
D. There can be no favour beyond a reasonable point
9. Remi is an imp.
A. Remi behaves differently
B. Remi behaves queerly
C. Remi behaves badly
D. Remi behaves decently
10. The solution lies in choosing between various negative alternatives.
A. The solution is a negative one
B. The solutions are many
C. The solution lies in choosing between the positive and negative
D. The solution can be found in one of the negative options
Instructions: In Question 11-15, select the word nearest in meaning with the underlined word.
11. She did not divulge the location of the train.
12. The pilots were amazed at his piloting agility.
13. Hyenas are cautious, cowardly creative – jackals, on the other hand, they are known for their temerity.
B. Bold Behaviour
14. Rock music is ubiquitous nowadays.
15. The wrecked ship had sunk to the bottom. Amid the raining flotsam, rescue workers found only a life preserver.
Instructions: From the list lettered A-D, choose the word that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the words/group of words underlined and that will at the same time correctly fill the gap in questions 16-17.
16. I met her mother recently.
C. Long ago
D. Not long ago
17. She rejected the offer of admission into Nigeria Military School, Zaria.
C. Turned Down