1. The Portuguese arrived the Coast of Africa in the ____.
A. 12th Century
B. 14th Century
C. 15th Century
D. 18th Century
2. The Missionaries were described as the "heralders" of ____.
B. equality amongst mankind
D. all of the above
A. disorganized empire
B. well organized and strong standing army
C. weak army
D. poor trade relations
4. Which of the following was not an effect of the industrial revolution?
A. Increased productivity
B. Colonization of Africa
C. The defeat of France by Germany
D. Commercial rivalry among European nations
5. Which of the following nations did not take part in the scramble for Africa?
6. The Berlin Conference was convened by
A. John flay
B. Glad Stone
C. King Leopold
7. The Nigerian Regiment of the Royal West African Frontier Force (RWAFF) participated in the Second World War at
8. The Atlantic Charter decisions in 1945 brought about ___.
A. a turning point in the political history of African countries
D. inter-State warfare
9. The following factors were responsible for the fall of the Ghana Empire except ___.
A. attack by the Almoravids
B. Sumanguru conquered Kumbi Saleh
C. Sundiata of Mali conquered Sumanguru and declared Mali an Independent state
D. Moroccan invasion
10. The Saifawa Dynasty lasted from ___.
A. 800 to 1846
B. 700 to 1646
C. 800 to 1800
D. 800 to 1900
11. Warfare in ancient times was motivated primarily by the need to ___.
A. acquire territories
B. spread ideology
C. glorify the State
D. acquire economic gains
12. A weapon which has found important uses in all ages since it was discovered is the ___.
13. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941 signalled the beginning of the ___.
A. Second World War
B. Pacific War
C. Atlantic War
D. Sino — Japanese War
14. The Yom — Kippur War is otherwise known as the ___.
A. 1948 War
B. 1956 War
C. Sixth Day War
D. 1973 War
15. The Cold War was characterized by all of the following except ___.
A. direct war between blocs
B. arms race
C. ideological rivalries
D. struggle for allies territory
16. The British conquered the Sokoto Caliphate during the reign of Sultan
C. Abubakar III
17. At the 1950 Ibadan Constitutional Conference, the Northern delegation demanded in the proposed Central Legislature
A. equal representation for each of the three regions
B. more representation for itself than the other two regions together
C. parity of representation between the North and the other two regions together
D. the seat of Speaker for the North
18. The Last war commander of the Third Marine Commando was ___.
A. Olusegun Obasanjo
B. Mamman Shuwa
C. Murtala Muhammad
D. Benjamin Adekunle
19. All of the following are the concerns of military history except the ___.
A. development of weapons technology
B. evolution of strategic thought
C. evolution of Royal absolutism
D. peace time roles of the armed forces
20. The declaration of the secession of the Eastern Region from Nigeria occurred in ___.
A. January 1966
B. May 1967
C. May 1968
D. June 1967
21. The system of Colonial rule imposed on Nigeria was ___.
A. Merchant colony system of administration
B. Crown colony system of administration
C. Parliamentary system
D. None of the above
22. In 1906, Lagos Colony was merged with .....
A. Northern Nigeria Protectorate
B. Southern Nigeria Protectorate
C. Eastern Region
D. Republic of Benin
23. Who was the British officer that succeeded Lugard as Governor General?
A. Mr Stevenson
B. Sir Robert Brown
C. Sir Hugh Clifford
D. None of the above
24. The first prominent political party established by Nigerians was ___.
A. Action Group
B. Northern Peoples Congress
C. Nigerian National Democratic Party
D. Nigerian Peoples Party
25. It was the ............... of 1946 that created the three Regions of Nigeria
A. Clifford Constitution
B. Littleton Constitution
C. Macpherson Constitution
D. Richard Constitution
26. The Constitutional Conferences that ushered in independence for the country were held in ___.
A. Ghana and Gambia
B. London and Ibadan
C. Kano and Lagos
D. Enugu and Kaduna
27. Who was the first indigenous Head of the Nigerian Army?
A. Major General Aguyi Ironsi
B. Lt General TY Danjuma
C. General MR Mohammed
D. General O Obasanjo
28. The first oil (Crude) to be discovered in Nigeria was in.........
29. The Green Revolution introduced by President Shagari was ___.
A. a social programme
B. an economic programme
C. a cultural revolution
D. none of the above
30. The Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) was aimed at restructuring the Nigerian
B. Social life
C. Cultural life
D. Political life
31. On the ___,Nigeria became a Republic
A. 1st October, 1960
B. 1st October, 1961
C. 1st October, 1962
D. 1st October, 1963
32. Who was the first Prime Minister in the First Republic in Nigeria?
A. Sir Ahmadu Bello
B. Sir Abubakar Tarawa Balewa
C. Mallam Aminu Kano
D. Alhaji Maitama Stile
33. At Independence, Nigeria was divided by the British colonialists along ethnic lines. The major ones were
A. Itsekiri, lgbo
B. Yoruba, liausa-Fulani, Jarawa
C. Igho, Ijaw, Hausa-Fulani
D. Hausa-Fulani, Yoruba, lgbo
34. General Aguyi-Ironsi was responsible for establishing a..... form of government
D. none of the above
35. The three major political parties at Independence were
A. NPC, AG and the NCNC
B. NPC, NYM and UMBC
C. UMBC, AG and NCNC
D. NPC, AG and NYM
36. General Yakubu Gowon created the 12-state structure on _____.
A. May 27, 1963
B. May 27, 1964
C. May 27, 1965
D. May 27, 1967
37. The Second Republic in Nigeria lasted from _____.
A. 1960 - 1966
B. 1967 - 1970
C. 1975 - 1979
D. 1979 - 1983
38. What year did the Organization of African Unity transit to the African Union?
39. Nigeria returned to Civil rule after nearly thirty years of military rule in _____.
40. Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi is best remembered for _____.
A. writing the lyrics of the National Anthem
B. designing the national flag
C. building the national theatre
D. none of the above.