1. The area marked M in the North is a ___.
2. Line Y in the map is a typical example of ____.
B. Steep slope
C. Gentle slope
3. The general topography of the area is a good example of a / an
A. flooded land
C. rugged relief
D. market settlement
4. The most appropriate approximate bearing of "S" from "B" is ____.
D. None of the above
5. Symbol Q on the map is placed on a ____.
6. The latitude which marks the line of the sun's apparent movement north and south of the equator
7. Variations in the length of day and night over the earth's surface are due to the ___.
A. earth's inclination to the sun and its revolution.
B. earth's inclination to the sun and its rotation.
C. length of the earth's orbit.
D. thickness of the earth's atmosphere.
8. The progressive widening of joints and cracks in limestone by solutions initially leads to the formation of ___.
A. grikes and clints
B. stalactites and stalagmites
C. caves and caverns
D. cliffs and dry valley
9. A river loses energy and may deposit some of its load if ___.
A. its bed and banks becomes smoother
B. its discharge increases
C. its gradient decreases
D. it becomes narrow and deep
10. Chemical weathering is both rapid and intense in the humid tropics because of ___.
A. low annual range of temperature
B. high rainfall and temperature
C. the presence of easily weathered rocks
D. a large volume of run-off
11. The inorganic component of an ecosystem is made up of ___.
A. water and microbes
B. plants and animals
C. minerals and litter
D. soil and climate
12. The growth of the population at a rate faster than the available resources may result in ___.
A. under population
B. optimum population
D. ageing population
13. The Tundra Region is sparsely populated because of the ___.
A. scarcity of water
B. harsh environmental conditions
C. low natural resource base
D. low level of available technology
14. Which of the following BEST accounts for rural-urban migration in West Africa?
A. Limitless job opportunities in urban centres
B. Improved agricultural productivity in rural areas
C. Limited opportunities in rural areas
D. Social unrest in rural areas
15. A linear settlement is most likely to develop on a ___.
C. hill top
16. In which area of the ocean is the greatest source of food found?
A. on abyssal plains
B. in trenches
C. along continental shelves
D. along the mid-ocean ridge
17. What is the highest point on a wave called?
A. wave height
D. wave length
18. What is the most likely reason that the air temperature is warmest at the tropical latitudes?
A. these latitudes receive the most solar radiation because there are no clouds
B. these latitudes receive the most solar radiations because the sun's angle is high
C. these latitudes receive the least solar radiation because the sun's angle is low
D. these latitudes receive the least solar radiation because of heavy cloud cover
19. What would you most likely find on the leeward side of a mountain range?
C. rain forest
20. Which of these can people do in order to help reduce global warming?
A. burn coal
B. conserve energy
C. remove trees
D. produce methane
21. What is a large body of air that has the same properties as the area over which it formed called?
B. Air mass
C. Station model
22. What type of precipitation forms when vapour changes directly into a solid?
23. What type of front may form when cool air, cold air, and warm air meet?
24. What protects living things from too much ultra-violet Radiation?
D. Ozone layer
25. The time taken by the moon to complete one revolution around the earth of about 29.53 days is known as ___.
B. Lunar month
C. Solar month
D. Moon time
26. An imaginary semi-circular line passing from the North to the South pole, numbered East to West of the prime meridian is known as?
A. Prime time
B. Prime line
27. A period of 24 hours of rain with amount got not below 0.2mm is called ___.
A. A rain day
B. A rain time
C. A rain belt
D. None of the above
28. The envelope of gases that is odourless, tasteless, colourless and that surrounds the earth is called
29. The North Polar Region and all its associated feature of cold climate, vegetation and relief is otherwise called ___.
30. Which of the following is wrongly paired?
31. One of the following is NOT associated with a glaciated highland.
B. Crag and tail
D. Pyramidal peak
32. All of the following except one result through erosional processes.
D. Soil dunes
33. Overland flow is ___.
A. runoff that flows down the slopes of the land in distributed sheets
B. when water occupies a narrow channel confined by lateral banks
C. the rate of fall in altitude of the stream surface in the downstream direction
D. the slow movement of water under the ground
34. In Nigeria, topographic maps are prepared in sheets of different scales by the ___.
A. Federal School of Survey, Oyo
B. Ministry of Works and Housing
C. Federal Survey Department
D. Geography Departments of Nigerian universities
35. An example of a landform produced by glaciations is ___.
A. a cirque
B. a sand-dune
C. an ox-bow lake
D. an inselberg
36. Which of the following is not associated with volcanicity?
37. All the following can be found in the upper course of a river except __.
38. The Mediterranean type of climate occurs in the South West corner of South Africa because ___.
A. the Benguela current misses that part
B. the Cape is stormy
C. it lies in the region of winter anti-trade winds
D. it is too far away from the Equator
39. Which of the following statistical mapping techniques is most suitable for showing the spatial distribution of cattle in the different northern state of Nigeria?
A. dot map
C. pie graph
D. proportional circles
40. Which is a group of stars, gas and dust held together by gravity?
B. super giant
C. black hole