1. What mass of silver is deposited when 96500C of electricity is passed through a solution containing silver ions?
2. Which of these groups of finer the react with cold water?
A. Mg, Zn and Fe
B. Sn, Pb and Cu
C. Ca, Mg and Zn
D. K, Na and Ca
3. To 2.0cm3 of a solution of sample X, NaOH solution was added drop by drop until in excess, a reddish-brown ppt insoluble in excess NaOH. The cation contained in sample X is:
4. Two radioactive elements Q and S have half-life periods of 10 hours and 20 hours respectively. Therefore,
A. S decays faster than Q.
B. Q is twice as stable as S.
C. emits fewer particles than S.
D. S is more stable than Q.
5. Complete oxidation of CH3CH2CH2OH yields:
6. Give the IUPAC name for this compound
A. Aromatic methyl alcohol
C. Methyl Benzenol
D. -3-methyl phenol
7. The ground state electronic configuration of calcium, Ca (Z = 20) is:
C. 1S22S2 2P63S24S2
8. What type of bond is indicated by the arrow in the following structure?
A. Covalent bonds
B. Ionic bond
C. Dative bond
D. Hydrogen bond
9. Which of the following reactions gives the silver mirror product.
A. CH2 = CH2 + Ag+
B. CH ≡ CH + Ag+
C. CH3 − CH3 + Ag+
D. CH2 − CHCl + Ag+
10. The product of the reaction:
D. Acetyl benzene.
What volume of oxygen will be produced at STP? Given (N=14, O=16, K=39).
A. 0.5 litre
B. 1.0 litre
C. 22.4 litre
D. 11.2 litre
12. Which of the following statement is correct when hydrogen peroxide reacts with acidified potassium iodide solution.
A. Potassium iodate is formed
B. Potassium peroxide is formed
C. Free iodine is produced
D. Oxygen is given off.
13. Which of the following chemical reaction is not exothermic?
A. N2(g) + O2(g) ⟶ 2NO(g)
B. 3O2(g) ⟶ 2O3(g)
C. SO(g) + H2O(l) ⟶ H2SO3(l)
D. SO3(g) +H2O(l) ⟶ H2SO4(l)
14. Select the equation representing, the action of steam on red hot iron.
A. Fe + H2O ⟶ FeO + H2
B. 2Fe + 3H2O ⟶Fe2O + H2
C. 3Fe + 4H2O ⟶ Fe (OH)3 + H2
D. Fe + 4H2O ⟶ Fe3O4 + 4H2
15. Permanent hardness of water is due to the presence of calcium sulphate which is not softened by boiling. Which of the following chemical is normally used to soften it?
16. A suitable indicator used for titration of oxalic acid and sodium hydroxide is.
C. Methyl orange
D. one of the above.
17. Which of the following mixtures can be separated by Sublimation?
A. Sand + ammonium chloride + 2H2O
B. Sand + Sodium chloride
C. Iodine + Sulphur
18. In the equation below:
NO3- + 8H+ ⟶ NH 2H2O
Nitrogen is reduced from oxidation state.
A. +4 to -3
B. +5 to -3
C. +4 to +3
D. +5 to +3
19. Nitrogen is very uncreative because_____
A. Much energy is needed to break the bond between the two nitrogen atoms in the molecules.
B. Less energy is needed to break the bond between the two nitrogen atoms in the molecules
C. Of the electrovalent bond between the two atoms
D. Of the covalent bond between the two atoms.
20. A brand of ink containing cobalt (II), copper (II) and iron can best be separated into its various components by:
A. fractional crystallization.
B. fractional distillation.
22. Which of the following substances is a mixture?
A. Granulated sugar
C. Sodium chloride
D. Iron filings.
23. The atomic numbers of two elements X and Y are 12 and 9 respectively. The bond in the compound formed between the two elements is?
24. In the purification of town water supply, alum is used principally to:
A. kill bacteria.
B. control the pH of water.
C. improve the taste of the water.
D. coagulate small panicles of mud.
25. An increase in temperature causes an increase in the pressure and the _____
A. average velocity of the molecules.
B. number of collisions between the molecules.
C. density of the molecules.
D. free mean path between each molecule and others.
26. The energy change accompanying the addition of an electron to a gaseous atom is called:
A. first ionization energy.
B. second ionization energy:
C. electron affinity.
27. An eruption polluted an environment with a gas suspected to be H2S, a poisonous gas. A rescue team should spray the environment with:
B. moist SO
C. acidified KMnO4 and water
D. water, acidified KMnO4 and oxygen.
28. The atomic number of Cesium is 55 and its atomic mass is 133. The nucleus of the Cesium atom therefore contains:
A. 78 protons and 55 electrons.
B. 55 protons and 78 neutrons.
C. 55 neutrons and 78 electrons.
D. 78 neutron and 55 neutrons.
29. Four elements P, Q, R and S have atomic numbers of 4, 10, 12 and 14 respectively. Which of these elements is a noble gas?
30. If ZnO dissolves in sodium hydroxide and mineral acid solutions to give soluble products in each case, ZnO is therefore referred to as:
A. an allotropic acid.
B. an amphoteric
C. a peroxide.
D. a dioxide.
31. Chromatography is used to separate components of mixtures which differ in their rates of
32. Which of the following is an example of a chemical change?
A. Dissolution of salt in water.
B. Rusting of iron.
C. Melting of ice.
D. Separating a mixture by distillation.
33. The number of Hydrogen ions in 4.9g of tetraoxosulphate (V) acid is
A. 3.01 x 1022
B. 6.02 x 1022
C. 3.01 x 1023
D. 6.02 x 1023
[S = 32, O = 16, H = 1, NA = 6.02 x 1023]
34. What volume of oxygen will remain after reacting 8cm3 of hydrogen with 20cm3 of oxygen?
35. A gas sample with an initial volume of 3.25dm3 is heated and allowed to expand to 9.75dm3 at constant pressure. What is the ratio of the final absolute temperature to the initial absolute temperature?
36. Two cylinders A and B each contain 30cm3 of oxygen and nitrogen respectively at the same temperature and pressure. If there are 5.0 moles of nitrogen, then the mass of oxygen is
37. A liquid begins to boil when______
A. its vapour pressure is equal to the vapour pressure of its Solid at the given pressure.
B. molecules stall escaping from its surface.
C. its vapour pressure equals the atmospheric pressure.
D. its volume is slightly increased.
38. A particle that contains 8 protons, 9 neutrons and 7 electrons could be written as
Use the periodic table below to answer questions 39 and 40
39. Which of the letters indicate an alkaline metal and a noble gas respectively?
A. M and E
B. G and E
C. R and L
D. G and L.
40. Which letter represents a non-metal that is a solid at room temperature?