PAPER TYPE: A
1. Which chemistry paper type is given to you
A. Type A
B. Type B
C. Type C
D. Type D
2. Which of the following is an example of a mixture?
A. Common salt
D. Washing soda
3. Calculate the percentage by mass of nitrogen in calcium trioxonitrate (V).
[Ca = 40, N = 14, O = 16]
4. The droplets of water observed around a bottle of milk taken out of the refrigerator is due to the fact that the ___.
A. water vapour in the air around the bottle gains some energy from the bottle
B. temperature of the milk drops as it loses heat into the surroundings
C. saturated vapour pressure of the milk is equal to the atmospheric pressure
D. water vapour in the air around the bottle loses some of its energy to the bottle
5. The volume of a given gas is V cm3 P mm Hg. what is the new volume of the gas if the pressure is reduced to half at constant temperature?
A. 4 V cm3
B. 2 V cm3
C. 1/2 V cm3
D. V cm3
6. Moving from left to right across a period, the general rise in the first ionization energy can be attributed to the ___.
A. decrease in nuclear charge
B. increase in nuclear charge
C. decrease in screening effect
D. increase in screening effect
7. How many unpaired electron(s) are there in the nitrogen sub-levels?
8. The stability of the noble gases is due to the fact that they ___.
A. have no electron in their outermost shells
B. have duplet or octet electron configurations
C. belong to group zero of the periodic table
D. are volatile in nature
9. The maximum number of electrons in the L shell of an atom is
10. Elements in the same period in the periodic table have the same ___.
A. number of shells
B. atomic number
C. chemical properties
D. physical properties
11.The reaction above illustrates ___.
A. alpha decay
B. artificial transmutation
C. nuclear fusion
D. nuclear fission
12. A noble gas with a high power of fog penetration used in aerodrome beacons is ___.
13. Permanent hardness of water can be removed by ___.
B. adding slaked lime
C. adding caustic soda
14. Substance employed as drying agents are usually ___.
15. Calculate the solubility in mol dm-3 of 40g of CuSO4 dissolved in 100g of water at 120oC.
[Cu = 64, S = 32, O = 16]
16. Coffee stains can best be removed by ___.
C. a solution of borax in water
D. ammonia solution
17. Carbon (II) oxide is considered dangerous if inhaled mainly because it ___.
A. can cause injury to the nervous system
B. competes with oxygen in the blood
C. competes with carbon (IV) oxide in the blood
D. can cause lung cancer
18. The acid that is used to remove rust is ___.
C. trioxonitrate (V)
D. tetraoxosulphate (VI)
19. Calculate the volume of 0.5 mol dm-3 H2SO4 that is neutralized by 25 cm3 of 0.1 mol dm-3 NaOH.
A. 5.0 cm3
B. 2.5 cm3
C. 0.4 cm3
D. 0.1 cm3
20. The colour of methyl orange in alkaline medium is ___.
21. Which of the following salts is slightly soluble in water?
22. 6AgNO4(aq) + PH3(g) + 3H2O(l) → 6Ag(s) + H3PO3(g) + 6HNO3(aq)
In the above reaction, the reducing agent is
23. The IUPAC nomenclature of the compound LiAlH4 is ___.
A. lithiumtetrahydridoaluminate (III)
B. aluminium tetrahydrido lithium
C. tetrahydrido lithium aluminate (III)
D. lithium aluminium hydride
24. Iron can be protected from corrosion by coating the surface with ___.
25. What quantity of aluminium is deposited when a current of 10A is passed through a solution of an aluminium salt for 1930s?
[Al = 27, F = 96500 C mol-1]
A. 0.2 g
B. 1.8 g
C. 5.4 g
D. 14.2 g
26. In which of the following is the entropy change positive?
A. Thermal dissociation of ammonium chloride
B. Reaction between an acid and a base
C. Addition of concentrated acid to water
D. Dissolution of sodium metal in water
27. If a reaction is exothermic and there is a great disorder, it means that ___.
A. the reaction is static
B. the reaction is in a state of equilibrium
C. there will be a large increase in free energy
D. there will be a large decrease in free energy
28. In the preparation of oxygen by heating KClO3 in the presence of MnO2, only moderate heat is needed because the catalyst acts by
A. lowering the pressure of the reaction
B. increasing the surface area of the reactant
C. increase the rate of the reaction
D. lowering the energy barrier of the reaction
The graph above demonstrate the effect of __.
A. surface area on the rate of reaction
B. catalyst on the rate of reaction
C. pressure on the rate reaction
D. concentration on the rate of reaction
30.What happens to the equilibrium constant of the reaction above if the temperature is increased?
A. it is unaffected
B. it becomes zero
C. it decrease
D. it increases
31. To a solution of an unknown compound, a little dilute tetraoxosulphate (VI) acid was added with some freshly prepared iron (II) tetraoxosulphate (VI) solution. The brown ring observed after the addition of a stream of concentrated tetraoxosulphate (VI) acid confirmed the presence of
In the diagram above, the gas produced is ___.
33. Which of the following is used in rocket fuels?
In the diagram above, the purpose of the asbestos to ___.
A. absorb impurities
B. catalyse the reaction
C. solidify the gas
D. dry the gas
35. A constituent common to bronze and solder is ___.
36. When iron is exposed to moist air, it gradually rusts. This is due to the formation of
A. hydrate iron (III) oxide
B. anhydrous iron (III) oxide
C. anhydrous iron (II) oxide
D. hydrate iron (II) oxide
37. A compound gives an orange-red colour to non-luminous flame. This compound is likely to contain ___.
38. Stainless steel is used for making ___.
C. coins and medals
D. moving parts of clocks
39. The residual solids from the fractional distillation of petroleum are used as ___.
A. coatings of pipes
B. raw materials for the cracking process
C. fuel for the driving tractors
D. fuel for jet engines
The IUPAC nomenclature of the compound above is
A. 4 - ethyloctane
B. 5 - ethyloctane
C. 5 - propylheptane
D. 3 - propylheptane
41. Which of the following is used as fuel in miners' lamp?
42. Which of the following organic compounds is very soluble in water?
43. Benzene reacts with hydrogen in the presence of nickel catalyst at 180oC to give
44. Which of the following is used to hasten the ripening of fruit?
45. The final products of the reaction between methane and chlorine in the presence of ultraviolet light are hydrogen chloride and ___.
46. The correct order of increasing boiling points of the following compounds C3H7OH, C7H16 and C4H10 is ___.
A. C3H7OH → C4H10 → C7H16
B. C4H10 → C7H16 → C3H7OH
C. C7H16 → C3H7OH → C4H10
D. C4H10 → C3H7OH → C7H16
47. One of the major uses of alkane is ___.
A. as domestic and industrial fuel
B. in the hydrogenation of oils
C. in the textile industries
D. in the production of plastics
48. The haloalkanes used in dry-cleaning industries are ___.
A. trichloromethane and tetrachloromethane
B. chloroethene and dichloroethene
C. trichloroethene and tetrachloroethene
D. chloroethane and dichloroethane
49. Two hydrocarbons X and Y were treated with bromine water. X decolorized the solution and Y did not not. Which class of compound does Y belong?
50. The compound that is used as an anaesthetic is ___.
B. CH Cl3