1. A World Title Boxing contest took place in New York (75°W time zone) on a Tuesday between 21.30 and 22.30 hours and was televised live. When did viewers in Lagos (15⁰E time zone) watch the contest live on television?
A. Monday between 03.30 and 04.30 hours
B. Wednesday between 03.30 and 04.30 hours
C. Tuesday between 15.30 and 16.30 hours
D. Tuesday between 21.30 and 22.30 hours
E. Tuesday between 02.30 and 03.30 hours.
2. Which of the following areas is subject to frequent earthquakes?
A. South Africa
B. The Sahara Desert.
C. The Canadian Shield
D. Northern Australia E. North West Africa
3. 'Very large in area but very low in population" Which of the following countries fits this description best?
4. The cloud which is closely associated with thunderstorms is ___.
5. Which of the following landforms results from wind deposition?
6. One major feature of manufacturing in West Africa is that the industries ___.
A. have wide markets for their products
B. are capital intensive
C. are evenly spread over major towns
D. produce mainly for domestic market
E. much goods
7. A desert country which has a high population density supported by irrigation is ___.
8. The region of the rainfall pattern is ___.
A. seasonal rainfall with single maximum
B. rainfall throughout the year with double maxima
C. seasonal rainfall with single maximum
D. rainfall throughout the year with single maximum
9. The climatic data above is likely to be that of ___.
10. Which of the following minerals is produced in Niger Republic?
B. Iron ore
C. Crude oil
11. The speed of wind is usually measured using ___.
A. a wind vane
B. a wind rose
C. an anemometer
D. a thermometer
12. When the temperature at sea level is 10°C, what is the temperature of the air at a height of 200 metres above sea level?
13. A Karst feature in its advanced stage of development is ___.
A. Terra Rosa
B. Sink hole
C. Karst valley
D. Karst window
14. If a map at a scale of 1:50 000 is reduced by half what is the scale of the new map?
A. 1: 250 000
B. 1:25 000
C. 1: 200 000
D. 1: 100 000
E. 1: 125 000
15. One of the following countries produces more rice than the others. Which is it?
B. Ivory Coast
E. Sierra Leone
16. A ship’s radioed message on the high sea at 5.45 p.m. was heard at Abidjan (5°W) at 11.15 a.m. on the same day. Find the position of the ship.
B. 92° 30'E
D. 97° 30' E
17. Chemical weathering processes include all except ONE of the following ?
18. A deflation hollow is produced by ___.
A. glacial erosion
B. wave erosion
C. wind erosion
E. river erosion
19. Akosombo dam is on the ___.
A. Senegal River
B. River Rockel
C. River Niger
D. River Gongola
E. River Volta
20. A line joining points of equal atmospheric pressure on a map is called an ___.
21. Which of the following is NOT a product of river deposition?
A. Flood plain
E. Sand bar
22. Which of the following countries has a large number of people of African descent?
23. The contents of a Stevenson's screen include thermometer and ___.
B. wind vane
D. rain gauge
Use the Map for Question 24 to 28.
24. The highest point above mean sea level in the region is just above ___.
25. Which of these triangulation stations is not visible from the edge of the quarry?
26. The landform between River Oni and the Kedi- Ibaga road is a ___.
A. Broken ridge
B. Fault scrap
C. Rolling plain
27. The settlements in the area mapped are located mainly on the ___.
A. Valley floors
B. Foot slopes
C. Flood plains
D. Ridge tops
E. Steep slopes
28. The settlement pattern is best described as ___.
29. Which of the following factors is Least important in the location of industries?
B. Raw materials
30. Petroleum is usually abundant in ___.
A. Intrusive igneous rocks
B. Anticlinal structures associated the igneous rock
C. Anticlinal structures of sedimentary rocks
D. Synclinal structures of sedimentary rocks
E. Metamorphic rocks
31. One of the places noted for irrigation agriculture in Africa is the ___.
A. The Zaire Basin
B. Southern part of Sudan
C. Ghezira plains
D. Great rift valley
E. Mountain Kilimanjaro
Use the Map below to answer questions 32, 33 and 34.
32. Which of the ocean currents on the map is the Benguela current?
33. The Ahaggar Plateau is the shaded area marked ___.
34. The shaded area marked V on the map are ___.
A. Oil producing areas
B. Regions of large-scale irrigation
C. Salt lakes
D. Major groundwater aquifers
35. Which of the following landforms originates from aeolian erosion?
A. Deflation hollow
D. Sand dune
36. The most important catalyst in the growth of major cities of the world today relate to developments in ___.
A. Film and entertainment industries
B. Information and service industries
C. Oil and automotive industries
D. Foreign trade and international politics
E. Presence of Religious Organisations
37. The two darns found in the upper- and lower Nile respectively are ___.
A. Sennar and Aswan
B. Aswan and Jebel Aulia
C. Sennar and Jebbel Aulia
D. Gezira and Sennar
E. Shiroro and Akosombo
38. The most dreaded pest in the Cotton Belt of the USA is the ___.
A. Weaver bird
B. White ant
C. Boll Weevil
39. A town that is situated where two rivers meet is a ___.
A. Confluence town
B. Bridge town
C. Nodal town
D. Coastal town
E. Marine town
40. The most densely populated river delta in Africa is the ___.
D. Niger Delta