PAPER TYPE: YELLOW
1. Which Question Paper Type of Geography as indicated above is given to you?
A. Type Green
B. Type Purple
C. Type Red
D. Type Yellow
Use the map below to answer question 2 to 5.
2. The scale of the map expressed as representative fraction is
3. The feature marked Q is a ___.
4. The predominant occupation of the inhabitants of the area is likely to be ___.
5. The distribution of settlements in the area is mostly influenced by ___.
6. The length between two points on a topographical map is 5cm. What is the actual distance
between them if the scale of the map is 1:50000?
Use the diagram below to answer questions 7 and 8
7. The percentage of diamond produced by ‘Others’ is approximately ___.
8. In the pie chart, Zaire accounts for about ___.
9. Chain survey is most convenient for measurements on ___.
A. rocky environment
D. irregular slopes
10. The earth’s crust consists essentially of ___.
A. magnesium and silica
B. silica and aluminium
C. calcium and aluminium
D. magnesium and calcium
11. The rock type formed through the deposition and compression of elastic particle is ___.
12. Which of the following rock types is formed through the ejection of magma onto the surface of the earth?
13. Rocks that are composed of particles derived from previously existing rocks are referred to as ___.
A. metamorphic rocks
B. intrusive igneous rocks
C. sedimentary rocks
D. extrusive igneous rocks
14. The coral deposits marked M are called ___.
A. barrier lakes
B. barrier reefs
C. barrier shelves
D. barrier islands
15. The feature marked N is the ___.
A. down-faulted block
C. continental shelf
D. deep sea
16. An ox-bow lake is usually located in a ___.
A. volcanic crater
B. karst valley
C. river flood plain
D. desert oasis.
17. The phenomenon of change in direction of wave fronts as they approach the sea shore is known as ___.
A. wave refraction
B. tidal wave movement
C. wave drifting
18. The storm which occurs over the China Sea between latitudes 80 and 150 N and S of the equator is a ___.
A. tropical thunderstorm
D. temperature thunderstorm.
19. A major characteristic of the tropical continental climate is the ___.
A. occurrence of high diurnal temperatures throughout the year
B. absence of cloud cover throughout the year
C. prevalence of high and constant temperatures throughout the year
D. occurrence of alternating wet and dry seasons throughout the year
20. Plants that are highly tolerant of drought and can survive in dry habitats are referred to as ___.
21. An important characteristic of the B-horizon in tropical ferruginous soils is the ___.
A. eluviation of oxides
B. concentration of organic matter
C. accumulation of oxides
D. predominance of parents material
22. The texture of the soil depends on the constituent of ___.
A. sand, silt and humus
B. sand, clay and stones
C. sand, silt and clay
D. sand, clay and quartz
23. The most significant economic use of ocean water is for ___.
24. The major terrestrial ecosystems are often referred to as ___.
D. boreal forests
25. Global warming directly results in ___.
A. melting ice cap and rising sea level
B. corrosion of roofing sheets
C. increase in atmospheric pressure
D. population explosion and rapid urbanization
26. Accelerated soil erosion results from a combination of ___.
A. bad farming practices and mulching
B. intensive cultivation and cover crops
C. bad farming practices and fertilizers
D. intensive cultivation and overgrazing
27. Which of the following factors discourages population concentration in an area?
B. Frozen soils
C. Mineral deposits
D. Alluvial plains
28. The ratio of registered births to the population of women of child -bearing age is known as the
A. fertility rate
B. mortality rate
C. growth rate
D. morbidity rate
29. The number of deaths, births, immigrants and emigrants over a specified time interval determines
30. Which of the following is mainly associated with tourism?
A. Rural settlement
B. Commercial settlement
C. Holiday resort
D. Confluence town
31. The merging of two or more extensive urban areas results in a ___.
32. Fertile plains are usually characterized by a pattern of settlement referred to as.
A. nucleated and concentric
B. nucleated and elongated
33. An industry is optimally located where ___.
A. profit is minimized
B. cost is maximized
C. revenue is minimized
D. profit is maximized
34. The lack of access to food in some parts of the world emanates from ___.
A. low development of natural resources
B. educational inequality
C. poor transportation system
D. economic inequality
35. The standard railway gauge is most common in ___.
A. North America and Europe
B. Europe and Africa
C. Africa and North America
D. South America and Africa
36. More than half of the world’s trade is ___.
A. among developing countries
B. among developed countries
C. between developed and developing countries
D. between Asiatic and African countries
37. Cane chairs, wooden marks and ornamental brass trays found in Nigeria are products of ___.
A. manufacturing industries
B. processing industries
C. local crafts
D. foreign lands
38. Petroleum is extracted in Nigeria by ___.
39. In Nigeria, the major products that are taken to the markets from the south to the north are ___.
A. beef, onions, groundnuts and grains
B. plantains, garri, kolanuts and palm oil
C. oranges, vegetables and beef
D. potatoes, rice and onions
40. The average elevation of the eastern scarplands of Nigeria ranges from ___.
A. 300m - 400m
B. 400m - 500m
C. 500m – 600m
D. 600m -700m
41. The best method to overcoming natural difficulties in Nigerian agriculture include ___.
A. terracing, irrigation and research
B. irrigation, crop rotation and over-cultivation
C. devegetation, research and mixed cropping
D. crop rotation, fire clearing and mixed cropping.
42. The Lagos area has emerged as the most prominent destination for internal migration because it is ___.
A. close to the coast and is densely populated
B. agriculturally productive and close to the coast
C. on a high plain and is highly industrialized
D. highly industrialized and highly urbanized
43. Inter-regional Tad in Nigeria has mostly been promoted by the fact that
A. different regions have different ethnic groups
B. there is improved inter-regional transportation
C. different regions produce different commodities
D. there is improved internal security
44. The largest rift valley system in the world is in ___.
A. West Africa
B. North Africa
C. East Africa
D. South Africa
45. The Sahel region of Africa is prone to ___.
46. The Algeria’s oil fields are located in ___.
A. Hassi Messaoud
C. Marsa el Brega
D. Gulf of Sirte
47. The major factors that account for the pattern of population distribution in West Africa are ___.
A. transportation and communication
B. physical and economic
C. historical and social
D. social and political
48. The highest mountain in Africa is found in ___.
49. The two major plantation crops in West and East Africa respectively are ___.
A. cocoa and coffee
B. cotton and coffee
C. cocoa and groundnut
D. rubber and cotton
50. The most densely populated river Delta in Africa is the ___.