A. 0.5 mm
B. 1.0 mm
C. 0.2 mm
D. 0.1 mm
2. The electromotive force in the secondary winding is __.
3. If a pump is capable of lifting 5000 kg of water through a vertical height of 60 in 15 mins, the power of the pump is __.
A. 3.3 × 103 Js-1
B. 2.5 × 104 Js-1
C. 2.5 × 105 Js-1
D. 3.3 × 102 Js-1
4. Calculate the temperature change when 500 J of heat is supplied to 100g of water.
5. Which of the following particles CANNOT be deflected by both electric and magnetic fields?
A. Gamma rays
B. Alpha particles
C. Wave particles
D. Beta particles
6. Under which of the following conditions do gasses conduct electricity?
A. High pressure and low p.d
B. Low pressure and high p.d
C. Low pressure and low p.d
D. High pressure and high p.d
7. Dispersion occurs when white light passes through a glass prism because of the __.
A. defects in the glass
B. high density of the glass
C. different speeds of the colours in the glass
D. different hidden colours in the glass
8. Calculate the e.m.f of the cell in the above circuit if its internal resistance is negligible.
9. An object of mass 80kg is pulled on a horizontal rough ground by a force of 500 N. Find the coefficient of static friction.
D. 0.8. [ g ≈ 10ms-2]
10. The diagram above shows plank RS pivoted at its centre of gravity O and is in equilibrium with the weighs P and Q. If a weight 2P is added to P, the plank will be in equilibrium again by __.
A. moving P nearer to O
B. moving Q nearer to O
C. adding a weight Q to Q
D. moving P further away from O
11. A glass plate 0.9 cm thick has a refractive index of 1.50. How long does it take for a pulse of light to pass through the plate?
A. 3.0 x 10-10s
B. 4.5 x 10-11s
C. 3.0 x 10-11s
D. 4.5 x 10-10s [c= 3.0 x 108 ms-1]
12. The main purpose of the transformer in an a.c radio set is to __.
A. increase power to the radio
B. convert energy from a.c. to d.c
C. step up the voltage
D. step down the voltage
13. The energy associated with the emitted photon when a mercury atom changes from one state to another is 3.3 eV. Calculate the frequency of the photon.
A. 3.2 x 10-53 Hz.
B. 3.1 x 10-52Hz
C. 1.3 x 10-15Hz
D. 8.0 x 10-14 Hz
In the reaction above, X is __.
15. To protect the material from the influence of an external magnetic field, the material should be kept in a __.
A. soft iron ring
B. loop of copper wire
C. triangular zinc ring
D. square steel ring
16. The refractive index of the medium M in the diagram above is __.
17. Thermal equilibrium between two objects exists when __.
A. the heat capacities of both objects are the same
B. the quantity of heat in both objects are the same
C. the temperature of both objects are equal
D. one object loses heat continuously to the other
18. Which of the following is a characteristic of stationary waves?
A. The anti-node is a point of minimum displacement
B. The distance between two successive nodes is one wavelength
C. They can be transverse or longitudinal
D. They are formed by two identical waves travelling in the opposite direction
19. The height at which the atmosphere ceases to exist is about 80km. If the atmospheric pressure on the ground level is 760mmHg, the pressure at a height of 20 km above the ground level is __.
20. A metal of mass 0.5kg is heated to 100 0 and then transferred to a well –lagged calorimeter of heat capacity 80 JK-1 t containing water of heat capacity 420 JK-1 at 15°C. If the final steady temperature of the mixture is 25°C, find the specific heat capacity of the metal.
A.92 J kg-1 K-1
21. In the series a.c circuit shown above, the p.d across the inductor is 8 Vr.m.s. and that across the resistor is 6 Vr.m.s. The effective voltage is __.
A. 10 V
B. 2 V
C. 14 V
D. 48 V
22. In a closed organ pipe producing a musical note, an antinode will always be produced at __.
A. the closed end
B. the middle
C. the open end
D. all the parts of the pipe
23. What happens when a certain quantity of pure ice is completely changed to water at 0cnnnn?
A. Latent heat is absorbed, the mass decreases and the volume increases
B. latent heat is absorbed, the mass remains constant and the volume decreases
C. latent heat is given out, the mass increases and the volume remains constant
D. latent heat is given out, the mass remains constant and the volume decreases
24. In the diagram above, PQ and R are vectors. Which of the following options gives the correct relationship between the vectors?
A. P =Q +R
B. P= Q – R
C. P= R – Q
D. P+ Q +R = O
25. If two parallel conductors carry currents flowing in the same direction, the conductors will
A. repel each other
B. attract each other
C. both move in the same direction
D. have no effect on each other
26. Which of the following correctly explain(s) why a green leaf appears green in bright daylight?
I. It absorbs only the green component of sunlight
II. It absorbs all colours in sunlight except green
III. It reflects only the green component of sunlight
A. I only
B. II and III only
C. I and II only
D. II only
27. Which of the following factors has no effect on the e.m.f of a primary cell?
A. nature of plate
B. size of the cell
D. nature of the electrolyte
28. When the bottom tip of a vibrating tuning fork is held in contact with a wooden box, a louder sound is heard. this phenomenon is known as __.
29. A particle of mass M which is at rest splits up into two. If the mass and the velocity of one of the particles are m and v respectively, calculate the velocity of the second particle.
30. The electrochemical equivalent of silver is 0.0012g/C if 36.0g of silver is to be deposited by electrolysis on a surface by passing a steady current for 5.0 minutes, the current must be __.
31. The principle of operation of an induction coil is based on ___.
A. Faraday’s law
B. Ampere’s law
C. Ohm’s law
D. Coulomb’s law
32. A radioactive sample initially contains N atoms. After three half-lives the number of atoms that have disintegrated is __.
33. Mercury is suitable as a barometric fluid because it __.
A. expands uniformly
B. is several times denser than water
C. is opaque
D. is a good conductor of heat
34. Which of the following features is NOT a characteristic of natural radioactivity?
A. radioactivity is a nuclear phenomenon
B. radioactivity is exhibited only by the element of a mass number greater than 206
C. The radioactivity of an element is affected by electric and magnetic fields in the surroundings
D Radioactive substances emit three types of radiations ∝-rays, β-rays and γ-rays
35. Which of the following is a correct explanation of the INERTIA of a body?
A. Reluctance to start moving at rest and its reluctance to stop moving once it has begun move
B. Reluctance to stop moving
C. Readiness to start moving
D. Reluctance to start moving and its readiness to stop moving once it has begun to move
36. If the force on a charge of 0.2 coulombs in electric field intensity is 4N, then the electric field intensity of the field is __.
B. 20.0 N/C
37. The point beyond which a stretched spring does not return to its original length is called the __.
A. breaking point
B. sprint constant
C. elastic limit
D. elasticity point
38. Which of the following statements is applicable to a real image formed by a concave mirror?
(i) It can be observed on a screen
(ii) It is always inverted and in front of the mirror
(iii) It only seems to exist
(iv) It is formed by the actual converging of rays of light.
A. (i), (ii) and (iii) only
B. (i), (ii) and(iv) only
C. (i) and (iii only)
D. (i) and (ii) only
39. which of the following does not cause a reduction of the surface tension of water?
A. soap solution
40. in what range of temperature is the expansion of water anomalous?
A. +208°C to +212°C
B. -80°C to -76°C
C. 0°C to +4°C
D.- 4°C TO 0°C