1. Which of the following has the most primitive respiratory system?
2. One adaptation shown by hydrophytes in freshwater habitats is the
A. waxy cuticle on shoot surface
B. poor development of roots and xylem tissues
C. well-developed roots and supporting system
D. leaves reduced to spines
3. Which of the following use diffusion as the principal method of gaseous exchange?
B. rat spines
4. The theory which supports the view that the large muscles developed by an athlete will be passed on to the offspring was proposed by __.
5. The chromosomes of members of the kingdom Monera are within the __.
6. The mangrove swamp in Nigeria is restricted to the __.
A. Sahel savanna
B. Guinea savanna
C. Tropical rainforest
D. Sudan savanna
7. The pancreas secretes enzymes for the digestion of __.
A. fats, proteins and carbohydrates
B. fats, vitamins and cellulose
C. fats, carbohydrates and vitamins
D. proteins, cellulose and minerals
8. The causative agent of bird flu is a __.
9. A water medium is necessary for fertilization in __.
10. An example of a sex-linked trait is the __.
A. colour of the skin in humans
B. ability to roll the tongue
C. possession of facial hair in adult humans
D. ability to grow. long hair in females
11. In which of the following Nigerian states can montane vegetation be found?
12. Which of the following is true of cloning?
A. it is welcomed as an ethically and normally sound science
B. it involves the asexual multiplication of the tissues of the original organism
C. the clone is similar to but not exactly like the original organism
D. only one cell of the original organism is needed to imitate the process
13. The process of shedding the exoskeleton of an arthropod is known as __.
B. in star formation
14. Which of the following is a major cause of constipation in humans?
A. lack of roughage
B. vitamin B
C. vitamin E
D. lack of salts
15. In mammals, the organ directly on top of the kidney is the __.
A. adrenal gland
B. prostate gland
D. thyroid gland
16. An accurate identification of a rapist can be carried out by conducting a __.
A. RNA analysis
B. blood group test
C. behavioural traits test
D. DNA analysis
17. An example of a fish that aestivates is __.
18. The opening and closing of the stoma are regulated by __
19. Which of the following is common to the mosquito, housefly, and blackfly?
A. they are parasites of man
B. their immature stages are aquatic
C. they undergo complete metamorphosis
D. their adults have two pairs of wings
20. The organs that will be most useful to giant African rats in finding their way in underground habitats are the
21. A crucible of 5gm weighed 10gm after filling with fresh soil. It is then heated in an oven at 1000C for 1 hour. After cooling in a desiccator, the weight was 8gm. The percentage of water in the soil is __.
22. The waste product of plants used in the conversion of hide to leather is __
23. The correct sequence of the movement of urea during formation is __.
A. glomerulus - Bowman's capsule - convoluted tubule - Henle's loop - collecting tubule
B. convoluted tubule - glomerulus - Henle's loop - Bowman's capsule - collecting tubule
C. glomerulus - Bowman's capsule- convoluted tubule - Henle's loop collecting tubule
D. convoluted tubule - Bowman's capsule - Henle's loop -glomerulus - collecting tubule
24. In lizards, the lowing of the gular fold is used to __.
A. defend their territory
B. attract mates
C. frighten enemies
D. catch insects
25. The photosynthetic pigments include __.
A. chloroplast and cytochromes
B. melanin and haemoglobin
C. chlorophyll and carotenoids
D. carotenoids and haemoglobin
26. The highest level of ecological organization is the __.
27. An abiotic factor which affects the distribution and abundance of organisms in a terrestrial habitat is __.
28. The eye defect that rises because the cornea is not curved smoothly is __.
29. Which of the following is an example of parasitism?
A. a squirrel living in an abandoned nest of a bird
B. mistletoe growing on an orange tree
C. fungi growing on a dead tree branch
D. cattle egrets taking tasks from the body of cattle
30. The increasing order of the particle size in the following soil types is
A. cattle sand – clay-gravel
B. clay - silt sand – gravel
C. silt - clay - sand - gravel
D. clay - sand - silt – gravel
31. Which of the following factors can bring about competition population?
32. Stunted growth and poor root development are a result of a deficiency in __.
Use the diagram below to answer question 33 and 34.
33. The cell organelle solely responsible for respiration is the __.
C. endoplasmic reticulum
34. The organelle responsible for heredity is __.
Use the diagram below to answer questions 35 and 36.
35. The process illustrated is __.
B. sexual reproduction in Rhizopus
C. sexual reproduction in Spirogyra
36. The structure labelled I is the __.
Use the diagram below to answer questions 37 and 38.
37. The organelle responsible for sexual reproduction is __.
38. The part labelled IV is responsible for __.
Use the diagram below to answer questions 39 and 40.
A. pulmonary artery
B. bicuspid valve
D. vena carva
40. Oxygenated blood is pumped to the entire body from the part labelled __.
Use the diagram below to answer questions 41 and 42.
42. The part marked I will contain a high concentration of __.
B. abscisic acid
D. ascorbic acid
Use the diagram below to answer questions 43 and 44
43. The breeding posture illustrated in the diagram is known as __.
A. reproductive swimming
44. The diagram shows that the organisms are __.
45. Insulin is produced by the endocrine organ labelled __.
46. Which of the following will be true of dog II which lost its tail in an accident if it mates with dog III?
A. all its offspring will be born without tails
B. 3/4 of its offspring will be born without tails
C. none of its offspring will be born without a tail
D. 1/4 of its offspring will be born without tails.
47. If the dogs are offspring of a monohybrid cross and the gene G for grey head is dominant over as allele g, the individual whose genotype is likely to be gg is __
Use the diagram below to answer questions 48 and 49.
A. flash colouration
B. countershading colouration
C. warning colouration
D. disruptive colouration
49. The structure labelled I is __