1. Which Question Paper Type of Biology is given to you?
A. Type D
B. Type I
C. Type B
D. Type U
2. The process in which complex substances are broken down into simpler ones is referred to as __.
3. The organ which is sensitive to light in Euglena is the __.
4. The organelles present in cells that are actively respiring and photosynthesizing are __.
A. lysosomes and ribosomes
B. Golgi apparatus and endoplasmic reticulum
C. nucleus and centrioles
D. mitochondria and chloroplast
5. Taenia solium can be found in __.
6. The structure labelled II is the __.
A. spermathecal pore
7. The organism is found in soils rich in __.
8. Which of the following describes a characteristic of arthropods?
A. The organism finds it easy to grow freely
B. The organism has a pair of jointed appendages
C. The body is not divided into a number of segments
D. The body is covered by chitin
9. Which of the following distinguishes a butterfly from a moth?
A. The wings of butterfly rest horizontally but those of moth rest vertically
B. Both are active during the day
C. They have similar antennae
D. The abdomen of moth is fatter than that of butterfly
10. Which of the following types of feathers is used for flight in birds?
B. Filo plume
11. The plants that grow in deserts or very dry areas are referred to as ___.
12. Which of the following is the simplest living organism?
13. Proboscis is a structure that is mostly found in __.
14. The structural adaptation of desert plants for water conservation is __.
A. broad leaves with numerous stomata
B. spongy mesophyll
C. spiny leaves
D. prominent stomata in leaves
15. The long and sharp-clawed feet of birds is an adaptation for __.
A. crushing seeds
B. scooping mud
C. tearing flesh
D. grasping prey
16. During the manufacture of food by plants, which of the following organism use energy from the sun?
B. sulphur bacteria
C. Nitrosomonas sp.
D. Nitrobacter sp.
17. Movement of minerals and chemical compounds with a plant occurs during __.
18. The enzyme that is present in the saliva is __.
19. Plants that have special devices for trapping and digesting insects are __.
20. The process of transforming the chemical energy of cellular fuels into the high energy bonds of ATP in plants is __.
21. Fungi are referred to as heterotrophs because they __.
A. are filamentous
B. lack chlorophyll
C. have mycelium
D. lack roots
22. An example of a parasitic protozoan is __.
23. Which blood cells are involved in the immune response of vertebrates?
24. The blood circulatory system of vertebrates consists of __.
A. heart, arteries, capillaries and veins
B. heart, aorta, capillaries and veins
C. heart, aorta, arteries and veins
D. heart, vena cava, arteries, and veins
25. A plant tissue that carries water and mineral salts is the __.
26. Which of the following helps in the clotting of blood?
A. Red blood cells
B. White blood cells
27. Which of the following forms about 55% of the volume of the blood in man?
28. The part of the mammalian skin involved in excretion is the __.
A. sweat glands
B. Malpighian layer
C. sebaceous gland
D. horny layer
29. Which of the following is a waste product of an insect?
B. Uric acid
30. The main structure in vertebrates that supports and protects the body is the __.
31. The chitin in the exoskeleton of many arthropods is strengthened by __.
C. calcium compounds
D. organic salt
32. The transfer of pollen grains from the anther to a sigma is __.
33. The male reproductive organ of a flower is the __.
34. The gland that is found just below the hypothalamus is the __.
35. The most important plant hormone is __.
B. abscisic acid
36. The sensory cell that responds to dim light is referred to as the __.
37. The absence of anti-diuretic hormone in humans results in
A. decreasing dehydration
B. drastic dehydration
C. eliminating dehydration
D. increasing dehydration
38. Oestrogen is a hormone that is synthesized in the __.
C. anterior pituitary
D. adrenal cortex
39. The eye defect caused by the development of cloudy areas in the lenses is __.
40. A pollutant that is biodegradable is __.
A. crude oil
B. heavy metals
41. A tropical disease caused by Trypanosoma is __.
A. sleeping sickness
B. river blindness
C. yellow fever
42. The solid part of the ecosystem is referred to as the __.
43. Which of the following is caused by Treponema palladium?
44. To which blood group do universal recipients belong?
45. The clumping together of red blood cells is __.
46. Physiological adaptation to very dry conditions in animals demonstrates __.
47. One of adaptation of Cactus opuntia to conserve water is the reduction of __.
B. stem to leaves
C. leaves to spine
D. flower size
48. Which of the following structure is adapted for feeding in a bird of prey?
A. Hooked break and sharp claws
B. Smooth beak and strong claws
C. Big beaks and strong feet
D. Pointed beak and strong claws
49. The special pigment for colour change in chameleon is ___.
50. The behavioural adaptation in social insects could best be described as __.